Skip to main content

Summer Break 2017, Day 4 of 83: Short notes

What did I accomplish today? I finished my lesson on naive Bayes, learned about linear dependence, and began learning about graph-based algorithms.

Because of my unfortunate procrastination and a request from a family member to do some unexpected work, don't have too much time today to document my experiences. I'll likely produce a follow-up or two on Saturday to compensate.

Other news

Today, the third developer preview for Android O came out. I've been reluctant to join the Android Beta Program, though. My Nexus 6P already dies around 40%, and I don't want to tempt the gods of battery life to increase that number. Sure, Android Nougat already introduced improvements to Doze, and Android O will put background execution limits for services, but I know the real problem is likely the hardware. Because my phone is from Best Buy, and my benefactor didn't get extended warranty, I'm essentially screwed until I get a new phone. (Hopefully, that new phone is a Pixel 2 that I receive for Christmas, but I'm not too optimistic about that.)

On a side note: I really despise the new emoji. I've confirmed it's not just because they're new; the icons go against everything Android stands for, and, based on a quick questioning from my family, the old icons actually appear better to the eye. I'm disappointed the Android emoji designers aren't taking the philosophy of "Be together, not the same" to heart. I don't want an Android phone to use iOS emoji. I want Android's unique brand identity to show through.

My decision: I'll wait until next week for any blaring issues to surface, and then I'll give in to the terrible cat emoji.

I have some data to sift through and manually input onto paper. Have a good night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Morning

It's a bright new day in 2017, and I've finally decided to host some public record of my life to preserve what little scraps of me survive after my death (that is if my consciousness isn't uploaded to data center by then). Slight morbidity aside, my ambitions for world domination are intensifying daily as I sit in my chair, mumbling to myself about ideas only a few in a hundred mile radius would even care about or understand. Current State of Affairs Without exposing any bank account-vital security question information, I'll discuss the most easily recognizable parts of my life: I live in Converse, TX , a small town of around 20,000 whose only job is to contribute to the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area; basically, my municipality exists to act as a statistic. I attend Samuel Clemens High School as a sophomore who can't engage in many if any extracurricular events because of the following reason. During evenings, I attend my father's (master...

Python is Cool. Python is Great.

I've immersed myself in programming with the easiest language to learn, and I'm currently trying to make my own command line utility for training the agents in The Companions Project . Sure, I may know jack squat about how to implement machine learning on the scale I wish to happen, but I do know one vital aspect of it: Python . Python compared to Java is the equivalent of Chinese checkers to chess . Chinese checkers is incredibly easy to learn but understandably difficult to master. Chess has a higher barrier to entry, but once you're over the wall, one can has some very complex possibilities to learn. While I now see programming in Python is incredibly simpler to begin, my Java-minded self took a quick look at the syntax and only bothered to look at code snippets to scare me into believing that Python is the language of the devil with forced indentation and syntax like this: class HelloWorld:     def hello(self, name=None):         if name is ...

My First AP Test

In around 10–15 minutes, I will begin the AP Physics 1 exam. It's questionable whether I'll obtain a score of five, but I know I can easily obtain a four. Does MIT or Caltech or Stanford or whoever care if I obtain a five? Well, I know MIT doesn't even care if I take the test as they only accept credit for a five on the AP Physics C exam. As for the others, I probably should've done some research. That doesn't matter now. I just looked over my mock test with another highly intelligent student, and we both know we can easily obtain a four. I know how torque works; I know how movement in two dimensions works; heck, I even remember​ how to build a DC circuit. Kirchoff has nothing on me. I know that the junction rule states that a circuit's input current must equal it's output. I understand that resistors have the same current in a series but the same voltage in parallel. I am going to perform very well. (As long as I don't bomb the free-response quest...