Skip to main content

Countdown to I/O

This is going to be the second year I've witnessed I/O live(streamed), from school, nonetheless. While I'm hoping Google announces some bombshell that is going to give them some massive monopoly, I, containing bouts of cynicism inside, expect a bit less.

Firebase, Firebase

When Google announced Firebase last year, I shook and shivered with excitement. I thought, "An integrated mobile and web development backend I could use to make anything? Sign me up." Of course, Firebase got better with new features like Cloud Functions, but I don't think Google is done with it - they're not even close. While I know just as much as anyone not at Google about the announcements to take place in less than five to six hours, I'm sure Google is going to announce more integration with their Cloud Platform. Cloud Functions was the beginning of Firebase adding functionality to a "consumerized" cloud, if you will. The rest of Google Cloud Platform will be for anyone, mainly with massive enterprises, but Firebase will be to Google Cloud Platform as Allo sort of is to Hangouts Chat. They use the same backend, but they will serve overlapping but noticeably different target markets.

Android O

We know they're definitely not going to announce that Android O is Android Oreo or any other name at I/O, but we do know another developer preview is going to be released. I'm curious to see what features the Android team managed to stuff in this time, but O looks like it's going to be the M of Android updates unless something major is announced. Notification channels are a great feature, but it's nothing that will make people demand OEMs release updates quicker. Speaking of updates, Project Treble does look like it will increase the speed of the Android update process.

Artificial Intelligence

Google loves their AI, and I expect it to be the obvious focus of I/O. TensorFlow is going to be showcased in some talks, but I think Google might have a major announcement which makes AI more accessible to developers. Sure, that's vague, but Google has been on a trend of sharing AI with more people to hopefully create another breakthrough. 

While I gave some pretty vague predictions, we all know the gist of what's happening this year. I'll be happily watching the livestream at 12:00 PM Central Time for the unfortunate 20 minutes I can and check in every passing period to see the updates from the talks I care about. Afterwards, there's sure to be a stream of I/O talks on YouTube for me to cast to my TV to binge watch. Good morning to all the media people attending I/O, and I hope you all enjoy your time there. (I prefer to get my news primary source, thank you.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Break 2017, Day 2 of 83: All Hail the Schedule

I think the plan's working; I'm already motivated to accomplish everything I've planned in The Schedule . Thanks to Google Calendar, I have the flexibility to change what I do on a daily basis. (I know, it's like I'm a spokesperson for Google right now, but you haven't seen half of it.) With Calendar's goals feature, I specify frequency and position of goals I want to accomplish, and machine learning ensures the times work out for me. Sure, it's a bit finicky right now, but at least I didn't have to make a hundred something event times for goals that don't have entirely consistent definite start and end time. MOOCs and More Because of my existing knowledge and experience with Udacity , I've decided to use their online courses to enrich my currently unstructured learning. Here's everything scheduled to be completed during the summer: Introduction to Machine Learning (the big one, the real thing I want to accomplish) Introd

Summer Break 2017, Day 6: Internet Presence

Over the course of 15 hours, I've become very conscious of my presence on the internet, and it all began with my father unintentionally showing the reach of various actions I've taken around the web. He originally tried to show me some records of his grandfather, but he eventually showed me Google image search results of himself, and I, of course, ended up appearing in the results since my name is literally a superset of his. I soon realized that comments I've made on YouTube videos have been indexed by Google. Internet privacy is a one-way street: you can park on the side, or you can keep driving down, but going the other direction requires immense amounts of work. The farther up the street you travel, the farther you've lost your privacy. Going up the street will let you access a greater amount of destinations, but the moment you wish to hide yourself from the people you don't want to find you, you can't just switch the gear into reverse and drive up the str

Good Morning

It's a bright new day in 2017, and I've finally decided to host some public record of my life to preserve what little scraps of me survive after my death (that is if my consciousness isn't uploaded to data center by then). Slight morbidity aside, my ambitions for world domination are intensifying daily as I sit in my chair, mumbling to myself about ideas only a few in a hundred mile radius would even care about or understand. Current State of Affairs Without exposing any bank account-vital security question information, I'll discuss the most easily recognizable parts of my life: I live in Converse, TX , a small town of around 20,000 whose only job is to contribute to the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area; basically, my municipality exists to act as a statistic. I attend Samuel Clemens High School as a sophomore who can't engage in many if any extracurricular events because of the following reason. During evenings, I attend my father's (master&