Skip to main content

Summer Break 2017, Day 2 of 83: All Hail the Schedule

I think the plan's working; I'm already motivated to accomplish everything I've planned in The Schedule. Thanks to Google Calendar, I have the flexibility to change what I do on a daily basis.
(I know, it's like I'm a spokesperson for Google right now, but you haven't seen half of it.) With Calendar's goals feature, I specify frequency and position of goals I want to accomplish, and machine learning ensures the times work out for me. Sure, it's a bit finicky right now, but at least I didn't have to make a hundred something event times for goals that don't have entirely consistent definite start and end time.


MOOCs and More

Because of my existing knowledge and experience with Udacity, I've decided to use their online courses to enrich my currently unstructured learning.

Here's everything scheduled to be completed during the summer:
  • Introduction to Machine Learning (the big one, the real thing I want to accomplish)
  • Introduction to Deep Learning (I hope to at least start this by the end of the summer)
  • Intro to Data Analysis (more like a prelude to Intro to Data Science)
  • Intro to Data Science (so I can learn to love big data) 
  • Introduction to Descriptive Statistics
  • Introduction to Inferential Statistics
I'm dedicated to treating these MOOCs as real courses of learning. I'm taking notes during them and actively suppressing distractions to ensure I fully understand what's going on.

Khan Academy

I'm using Khan Academy to touch up on my existing math skills (yes, even addition of mixed numbers and geometric transformations). I've begun with fourth grade math and I'm working my way up to algebra and AP Calculus BC (because AB is for skrubs).

As much as I would like to keep my mind sharp, my primary goal is to learn linear algebra since I know I won't be taught it in high school. Vectors are important to computer science to say the least, so I'm going to push myself to learn a topic which I think should be introduced in Algebra II.

I'm going to make sure these posts appear on a more consistent, timely schedule (10:30-11:00).
Good night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Morning

It's a bright new day in 2017, and I've finally decided to host some public record of my life to preserve what little scraps of me survive after my death (that is if my consciousness isn't uploaded to data center by then). Slight morbidity aside, my ambitions for world domination are intensifying daily as I sit in my chair, mumbling to myself about ideas only a few in a hundred mile radius would even care about or understand. Current State of Affairs Without exposing any bank account-vital security question information, I'll discuss the most easily recognizable parts of my life: I live in Converse, TX , a small town of around 20,000 whose only job is to contribute to the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area; basically, my municipality exists to act as a statistic. I attend Samuel Clemens High School as a sophomore who can't engage in many if any extracurricular events because of the following reason. During evenings, I attend my father's (master...

Python is Cool. Python is Great.

I've immersed myself in programming with the easiest language to learn, and I'm currently trying to make my own command line utility for training the agents in The Companions Project . Sure, I may know jack squat about how to implement machine learning on the scale I wish to happen, but I do know one vital aspect of it: Python . Python compared to Java is the equivalent of Chinese checkers to chess . Chinese checkers is incredibly easy to learn but understandably difficult to master. Chess has a higher barrier to entry, but once you're over the wall, one can has some very complex possibilities to learn. While I now see programming in Python is incredibly simpler to begin, my Java-minded self took a quick look at the syntax and only bothered to look at code snippets to scare me into believing that Python is the language of the devil with forced indentation and syntax like this: class HelloWorld:     def hello(self, name=None):         if name is ...

What's a TSI Test?

I took the TSI test on Wednesday, but I wasn't the first one in the lab to finish. I blame my proctor's slowness at informing me on some prerequisites that Administration didn't inform me about and my own apathy to a test that didn't seem to put up much of a fight. Three other people beat me to the punch, but I still managed to finish before the end of third period. Since this test doesn't involve a non-disclosure agreement that people really don't care about anyway , I'll talk about the contents of the test. There's nothing too interesting about the test. I likely could have gotten a perfect score if I tried, and that's not just me being cocky. There was no advanced math on the test (nothing higher than algebra), but the reading sections are slightly more comprehensive than the STAAR test's. I literally mean slightly more comprehensive; the STAAR test is more fiction-oriented while the TSI's reading (I think) only consists of nonfiction pas...